Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Next Chapter

Dear Tiffany,

     Do you remember this song?  I'm sure you do.

If you were a boat, my darling
A boat, my darling
I'd be the wind at your back
If you were afraid, my darling
Afraid, my darling
I'd be the courage you lack

If you were a bird, then I'd be a tree
And you would come home, my darling, to me
If you were asleep, then I'd be a dream
Wherever you are, that's where my heart will be

Oh, do you know we belong together?
Oh, do you know my heart is yours?

If you were the ocean, I'd be the sand
If you were a song, I'd be the band
If you were the stars, then I'd be the moon
A light in the dark, my darling, for you

Oh, do you know we belong together?
Oh, do you know my heart is yours?

Oh, do you know we belong together?
Oh, do you know my heart is yours?
Oh, do you know we belong together?
Oh, do you know my heart is yours?

     I wanted some inspiration so I listened to The Boat Song again since you said it would be our song.
I cried listening to this song.  I didn't cry out of sadness or any negative emotion.  I cried because this song embodies the past fourteen months of my life.  The song channels how I feel about our relationship, how I feel about our future, and how I feel about you.

     I haven't been exactly poetic with my words when we talk about graduate school.  Sometimes I just tend to listen to what you say.  But don't mistake that for apathy.  Again, I'm so proud of you for getting into graduate school.  To Northwestern University, one of the top universities in the country and in the world.  You did this against all odds and against all common sense, which makes the feat that much more impressive.  Despite your shortcomings, you still decided to put your dreams on the line for a shot at accomplishing a life achievement.  You've made it, Tiffany.  I know you didn't get into U.T.  I'm just as sad as you are.  I'm sorry.  You gave it your best shot and no one can could ask for more.  Better yet, you're a Wildcat now!  I can't believe it.  It's official.  You are attending graduate school at a top tier university and accomplishing a dream.  But this is more than a dream.  This is a turning point in your life, a fracture in your timeline.  This education, at this university, will forever cement your status in the workforce.  In it's correct application, this degree will allow you to progress further into any company than ever imagined.  This degree secures you a job for life.  This cannot be taken lightly.  With focus and determination, the moment you start graduate school, a new branch of destiny is marked in your life that only you can control and that is very powerful.

     Graduate school will be stressful and you will be tested.  But just like the song says, I will be everything that you do not have.  I will be the support you need at any moment.  To be honest, I'll write the papers for you if I have to.  I want you to know that, you'll be going to an unfamiliar town but you're strong.  You can survive and you can do it, despite what you think.  And I'll be there with you, helping you in any way that I can.  You're not going in to this alone.  You'll always have someone by your side for the rest of your life in everything that you do.

     Our future is forever entwined.  With this decision, I can see our future a little more clearly now.  The options for our future are much more concrete and the time we have to wait to finally be with each other has been shrunk in to a definitive time period.  This is beyond great news as well.  But regardless of how long it takes to be together, I'll always be there for you.  I'll always be there to support you.  I will always be the person you can rely on for anything.
 

 My heart is yours Tiffany Lieu.  It will always be.